Grief is not only what happens when someone dies.
You can grieve a person who is still alive.
You can grieve your health, mobility, career, marriage,
home, independence, youth, identity, community, expectations, or the life you
thought you would have.
You can grieve children growing up, grandchildren becoming
busy with their own lives, retirement, friends moving away, a changing
neighborhood, aging, worsening health, the loss of abilities you once took for
granted, or simply the feeling that the world is not the place it used to be.
And several of these losses can happen at once.
That may leave you carrying what feels like one big ball
of grief, even when you cannot identify one single thing that explains why
you feel sad, displaced, nostalgic, lonely, restless, or emotionally tired.
ChatGPT can help you untangle that ball.
It can listen, help identify what you may be grieving, put
difficult feelings into words, explore different kinds of loss, help with
practical problems, preserve memories, find support, and help you continue
living while carrying what cannot simply be fixed.
Grief Is Much Bigger Than Bereavement
The death of someone close is one of the clearest forms of
grief, but loss comes in many forms.
You might be grieving:
- a
spouse, parent, child, sibling, friend, or pet who died
- someone
who is dying
- someone
with dementia or severe illness who is still physically present but
changed
- divorce
or estrangement
- friendships
that faded away
- children
leaving home
- children
and grandchildren growing up and needing you differently
- retirement
or loss of a career
- loss
of status, identity, or purpose
- declining
health
- disability
or reduced mobility
- losing
the ability to drive, travel, exercise, work, garden, or do other things
you once enjoyed
- moving
from a longtime home
- aging
itself
- changing
seasons or anniversaries that remind you of earlier times
- a
community or neighborhood that no longer feels familiar
- political,
social, environmental, or world changes
- a
sense that you no longer fit into the world around you
- the
future you once imagined
Some losses are obvious.
Others are harder to name.
Getting Started
Go to https://chatgpt.com,
sign in or create an account, and start a new chat.
Then describe what is happening in your own words or use one
of the prompts below. Be sure to customize the prompt with your own losses,
relationships, health conditions, circumstances, beliefs, and what has been
changing in your life so ChatGPT can give you a more relevant response.
If you are unsure whether ChatGPT is right for you—or are
not comfortable signing in, starting a chat, or knowing what to type—ask
someone you trust for help. A family member, friend, librarian, caregiver, or
healthcare professional may be able to help you get started. You can also use
OpenAI's official ChatGPT help materials.
Start With the Big Ball of Grief
You do not have to know exactly what you are grieving.
Start with what you feel.
“I feel like I am carrying a lot of grief, but it is not
about only one thing. Ask me one question at a time and help me identify the
different losses I may be carrying.”
“Help me look at deaths, relationships, aging, health,
family changes, lost abilities, retirement, loneliness, identity, changes in
the world, and anything else that may be contributing to how I feel.”
“I keep thinking, ‘Things aren't like they used to be.’
Help me explore exactly what I miss.”
“My life is not necessarily bad, but I feel sadness and
loss underneath it. Help me understand what may be changing.”
“Help me separate what I am grieving from what I am
worried about, lonely for, angry about, or having trouble accepting.”
A quick reminder: Use ChatGPT to help you
understand, organize, and prepare questions—but verify important medical
information with your healthcare professional, and do not change medications or
treatment based on ChatGPT alone.
Different Kinds of Grief Can Feel Very Different
Giving a type of grief a name does not solve it, but
sometimes the name helps you understand why the experience feels so confusing.
Anticipatory Grief
You may begin grieving before a loss actually occurs—for
example, when someone has a terminal illness, dementia is progressing, your own
health is declining, or you know a major life change is coming. Anticipatory
grief can involve imagining what life will be like afterward as well as
grieving changes already underway.
“Someone I love is still here, but I already feel as
though I am grieving. Help me understand anticipatory grief and what I may be
mourning now.”
“Help me balance preparing for a possible future loss
with still being present for the time we have now.”
Ambiguous Loss
Sometimes there is no clear ending.
Someone may be physically present but psychologically
changed by dementia, brain injury, addiction, severe mental illness, or another
condition. Or someone may be physically absent but emotionally very present.
This kind of unresolved loss can be particularly difficult
because there may be no clear moment when grieving is supposed to begin or end.
“The person I love is still physically here but is no
longer the person I remember. Help me understand why this feels like grief even
though they have not died.”
“Help me find ways to live with uncertainty rather than
feeling that I must somehow achieve closure.”
Disenfranchised Grief
Some losses are not fully recognized by other people.
You may hear:
“You shouldn't still be upset.”
“It was only a pet.”
“You weren't married.”
“At least they're still alive.”
“You should be happy you're retired.”
Disenfranchised grief occurs when a loss is not recognized
or supported in the way the grieving person needs.
“People around me do not seem to understand why this loss
matters so much. Help me put into words what I actually lost.”
“How can I honor a loss even if other people do not
recognize it as something worth grieving?”
Traumatic Grief
Sometimes grief and trauma arrive together.
A sudden death, accident, violence, suicide, medical crisis,
disaster, frightening hospital experience, or witnessing suffering can leave
someone dealing with both loss and traumatic memories.
“I am grieving the person, but I also keep replaying what
happened. Help me separate the grief from the traumatic parts of the
experience.”
“Help me identify whether I need grief support, trauma
support, or both.”
Cumulative Grief
Sometimes the problem is not one enormous loss.
It is loss after loss after loss.
A spouse dies. Then a friend dies. Your health worsens. You
stop driving. The family changes. Another friend moves away. You lose an
activity you loved.
Any one loss might be manageable. Together they can become
heavy.
“Help me make a timeline of the losses and major changes
I have experienced during the last several years.”
“Which losses have I never really had time or space to
acknowledge because another problem came immediately afterward?”
Absent or Inhibited Grief
Not everyone cries or visibly grieves.
Some people initially feel numb, functional, detached, busy,
or almost nothing at all. That does not necessarily mean the loss was
unimportant. What is sometimes called absent or inhibited grief may involve
little outward expression even while complex emotions are being processed
privately.
“Something important happened, but I do not seem to feel
what I expected to feel. Help me explore that without telling me how I am
supposed to grieve.”
“Could staying busy or taking care of everyone else be
leaving little room for me to notice my own grief?”
Prolonged Grief
Grief does not have a universal timetable.
However, a small proportion of bereaved people experience
persistent, intense grief that significantly interferes with everyday
functioning. Prolonged grief disorder is a recognized clinical condition
with specific diagnostic criteria; it is different from simply grieving someone
for a long time.
“My grief continues to interfere substantially with
everyday life. Help me organize what I am experiencing so I can discuss it with
a qualified professional.”
“Help me find therapists or grief specialists with
experience in prolonged grief.”
Grieving Aging and the Person You Used to Be
Aging can contain many small losses.
You may miss your younger body.
You may miss people who knew you decades ago.
You may miss being needed in the same way.
You may notice that places, technology, culture, music,
language, or society feel less familiar.
You may still have a good life and also grieve what has
passed.
“Help me identify what I miss about earlier stages of my
life without assuming that means I cannot appreciate my life now.”
“I cannot physically do some things I used to enjoy. Help
me distinguish grieving that loss from finding new ways to keep the parts that
mattered most.”
“I sometimes feel out of place in today's world. Help me
understand whether part of that feeling may involve grief for the world and
life I remember.”
“What parts of my earlier identity do I still want to
carry forward?”
When Children and Grandchildren Grow Up
This can be a happy change and still contain grief.
Children become independent.
Grandchildren grow up.
People who once needed you daily may have busy lives of
their own.
The relationship changes.
“I am glad my children or grandchildren are independent,
but I miss being needed. Help me understand both feelings at once.”
“Help me think about how my role in the family can change
without disappearing.”
“What kind of relationship might I build with my adult
children or grandchildren now rather than wishing we could return to an earlier
stage?”
Grieving Work, Career, and Purpose
Retirement can mean freedom.
It can also mean losing:
- structure
- coworkers
- expertise
- identity
- responsibility
- recognition
- a
reason to get up
- a
feeling that people need you
“I don't miss the job itself as much as something the job
gave me. Ask me questions to help identify what that was.”
“Help me find ways to replace purpose, contribution,
structure, and meaningful contact rather than simply keeping busy.”
Grieving Health, Ability, and Independence
Chronic illness can produce grief repeatedly.
You may adjust to one limitation and then encounter another.
“Help me identify what I am grieving about my health
besides the symptoms themselves.”
“I can no longer do something that was important to me.
Help me identify what that activity gave me and brainstorm other ways of
getting some of the same benefit.”
“Help me grieve what I cannot change while still looking
for things I can treat, improve, adapt, or work around.”
Grief About the World
People can also experience grief about things larger than
themselves:
- war
- violence
- social
division
- environmental
change
- disappearing
places
- cultural
changes
- institutions
changing
- uncertainty
about the future
Ambiguous-loss research has increasingly been applied beyond
individual bereavement to communal and global losses as well.
“The state of the world makes me feel sadness and loss,
not just worry. Help me separate what I am grieving from what I am afraid of.”
“Help me distinguish what I can influence from what I
cannot control.”
“How can I remain informed without allowing world events
to consume my emotional life?”
Even Seasons, Weather, Places, and Traditions Can Carry
Grief
Sometimes grief arrives through a smell, song, first
snowfall, autumn evening, holiday, vacation place, or change of season.
The calendar itself can become a collection of memories.
“This season makes me unexpectedly sad. Help me explore
what memories or earlier stages of life it may represent.”
“A place I used to love feels different now. Help me
understand what I may actually be mourning.”
“Help me preserve a meaningful tradition while adapting
it to my life now.”
You Can Grieve Several Things at the Same Time
This may be one of the most useful things ChatGPT can help
reveal.
Try:
“Make a grief map of everything I may be grieving right
now.”
“Separate my grief into people, health, abilities,
identity, relationships, roles, places, past life, future expectations, and
larger changes in the world.”
“Which losses are permanent, which are still changing,
which might be repaired, and which might require adaptation?”
“What losses seem connected to one another?”
“Which one appears to need my attention most right now?”
You Do Not Necessarily Need “Closure”
Relationships and important experiences do not have to
become irrelevant because they ended.
Research and contemporary grief thinking recognize continuing
bonds—maintaining an inner relationship with someone or something important
while continuing to live. Research on grief also suggests that “closure” is
not always the right goal. People can continue to carry an emotional bond
with someone or something they have lost while still adapting, changing, and
moving forward with life.
“Help me think of healthy ways to keep this person or
earlier part of my life connected to who I am now.”
“What can I carry forward rather than trying to leave
everything behind?”
“Help me remember without spending my entire life looking
backward.”
Let Grief and Life Exist Together
You can be grieving and still laugh.
You can miss someone and enjoy another person's company.
You can miss the past and still become interested in the
future.
You can wish something had never changed while learning how
to live with what changed.
“I feel guilty when I enjoy myself because I am grieving.
Help me think through why both feelings can exist together.”
“Part of me wants the past back and another part wants to
keep living. Help me make room for both.”
“Help me find something I can look forward to without
treating that as leaving what I lost behind.”
When You Don't Know What You Need
Try:
“I know I am grieving, but I do not know what would help.
Ask me whether I need to remember, talk, cry, solve a practical problem,
connect with someone, rest, find meaning, get professional help, or simply get
through today.”
Or:
“Do not give me a long grief program. Based on everything
I have told you, help me decide what I most need today.”
Use ChatGPT as a 24/7 Place to Put the Grief
Grief does not follow office hours.
It may hit in the middle of the night, while driving, during
a holiday, after hearing a song, or on an otherwise ordinary afternoon.
ChatGPT can be available 24/7 to help you put what
you are feeling into words, remember, write, organize thoughts, find resources,
prepare to talk with someone, or decide what might help next.
You might simply say:
“Something triggered my grief just now. Help me
understand what happened.”
“I don't need this fixed. Stay with the subject and help
me put it into words.”
“I am having a difficult grief day. Help me make today
smaller.”
ChatGPT should complement rather than replace human
connection and professional support when those are needed.
Find Resources and People Who Understand Your Particular
Grief
Different losses may require different kinds of support.
“Find reputable grief resources for the particular kind
of loss I am experiencing.”
“Find support groups for people dealing with several
losses at once.”
“Find groups for people grieving health, disability,
retirement, estrangement, caregiving, or another non-death loss.”
“Find discussions from people whose grief sounds similar
to mine.”
“What do people with this kind of grief commonly wish
other people understood?”
“Find grief counselors or therapists who specifically
work with traumatic, ambiguous, or prolonged grief.”
“Find books, podcasts, organizations, or communities that
focus on this particular kind of loss.”
Lived experience can provide useful ideas and a sense that
you are not the only person experiencing something, but professional help may
be important when grief becomes disabling, traumatic, or very difficult to
manage.
When Grief Is Affecting Your Health
Grief can affect sleep, concentration, appetite, energy,
emotions, physical activity, and everyday functioning.
“Help me look at whether grief may be affecting my sleep,
eating, activity, pain, stress, concentration, or other health symptoms.”
“Help me separate symptoms that may be associated with
grief from health changes I should discuss with my healthcare professional.”
“I have chronic illness as well as grief. Help me look at
how each may be making the other harder to manage.”
When More Help May Be Needed
Most grief does not require a diagnosis or treatment.
But professional help may be particularly useful when grief
is severely interfering with everyday life, traumatic memories dominate, you
are becoming increasingly isolated, you are unable to care for yourself, or
intense grief remains persistently disabling. Prolonged grief disorder is
specifically distinguished from ordinary grief by persistent severe symptoms
and significant impairment in functioning.
“Help me organize how grief is affecting my everyday
functioning so I can decide whether to talk with a grief counselor, therapist,
or healthcare professional.”
“Help me find the right kind of professional for grief
combined with trauma, depression, anxiety, or chronic illness.”
If grief becomes so intense that you are thinking about
suicide or self-harm, feel unable to stay safe, or are in a mental-health
crisis, seek immediate help. In the United States, call or text 988 for
the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
Prompts Are Just the Beginning
Continue the conversation:
“Tell me more about that.”
“Ask me one question at a time.”
“I think there is another loss underneath this.”
“Help me put this feeling into words.”
“I don't want advice right now. Help me understand.”
“What part of this can I actually do something about?”
“Help me remember what was good without pretending the
loss did not happen.”
“Help me figure out how to live with this rather than
trying to erase it.”
Remember: ChatGPT Can Make Mistakes
ChatGPT can be very useful, but it can also misunderstand
you, leave out important details, or confidently give incorrect information.
Use it as a thinking, organizing, and problem-solving
tool—not as an unquestioned authority.
For health matters especially, verify important information
with an appropriate healthcare professional and do not make medication,
treatment, or other major health changes based on ChatGPT alone.
The Bottom Line
Sometimes grief is obvious.
Someone died.
Sometimes it is much harder to identify.
You miss who you used to be.
You miss people who are still alive but no longer close.
You miss being needed.
You miss your health.
You miss work.
You miss the old neighborhood.
You miss summers from decades ago.
You miss your children being young.
You miss friends who are gone.
You miss abilities your body no longer has.
You miss a version of the world that no longer exists.
And perhaps you are grieving all of it at once.
ChatGPT can help you take that enormous, tangled ball of
grief and gently separate it into pieces:
What did I lose?
What do I miss?
What can still be repaired?
What must I adapt to?
What can I carry forward?
What still matters?
What do I need today?
A useful place to begin is:
“I think I am carrying grief from many different parts of
my life. Help me untangle it one piece at a time—not so I can get rid of it,
but so I can understand it and keep living with what matters to me.”
Join the Conversation
Have you ever discovered that something you were feeling was
actually grief—even though nobody had died?
What kinds of loss do you think people fail to recognize as
grief?
Has aging, health, retirement, family change, loneliness,
the loss of a role, or changes in the world affected you in ways you did not
initially recognize as grief?
If you have found something that helps, or a useful way of
using ChatGPT with grief, share it in the comments.
Someone else may be carrying the same kind of loss
without yet having a name for it.
Subscribe to My LinkedIn Newsletter
Thrive: Mind, Body & Tech shares practical ways
to use AI and technology for holistic wellness, emotional well-being, healthier
living, and navigating the future.
https://www.linkedin.com/newsletters/thrive-mind-body-tech-7178508146028556289/
Try my free Custom GPT, Chronic Illness: Why Am I Still
Sick? — a whole-person tool for people with persistent symptoms, multiple
chronic conditions, or normal tests who still don't feel well.
https://chatgpt.com/g/g-69fa4cd970448191ace058c5d4ca15f2-chronic-illness-why-am-i-still-sick
My Amazon Author Page
https://www.amazon.com/author/tomgarz
Disclaimer
I am not a healthcare professional. This article is for
educational and informational purposes only and is not medical advice. ChatGPT
can make mistakes and should not be used to diagnose a condition, determine
treatment, or replace a qualified healthcare professional. Always verify
important health information and discuss changes in medications, insulin,
supplements, diet, exercise, or treatment with an appropriate healthcare
professional. Seek prompt medical care for serious, rapidly worsening, or emergency
symptoms. Additional Disclaimers - https://sites.google.com/site/tgideas/ideas-for-products-or-services/disclaimer
No comments:
Post a Comment