Saturday, September 19, 2026

How to Use ChatGPT to Help Find the Willingness and Motivation to Move Forward

Sometimes you know what you probably should do.

·       Exercise.

·       Make the appointment.

·       Clean the house.

·       Start the project.

·       Call someone.

·       Change a habit.

·       Go somewhere.

·       Deal with paperwork.

·       Eat differently.

·       Get out of bed.

·       Ask for help.

But knowing what to do and being willing or motivated enough to do it are not the same thing.



You may think:

“I know what I should do. I just can't make myself do it.”

That can happen for many reasons:

  • fatigue
  • pain
  • grief
  • depression or anxiety
  • fear of failure
  • fear of change
  • uncertainty
  • feeling discouraged
  • too many choices
  • a task that feels too large
  • not seeing a reason to bother
  • previous attempts that did not work
  • lack of confidence
  • resentment about being told what to do
  • perfectionism
  • loneliness
  • chronic illness
  • loss of purpose
  • simply not being ready yet

ChatGPT cannot create motivation by force.

But it can help you understand what is getting in the way, whether you are actually willing, what matters enough to you to act on, how to make the task smaller, and what might help you take the first step.


Willingness and Motivation Are Not Quite the Same

Motivation is often the feeling:

“I want to do this.”

Willingness may be more modest:

“I don't particularly want to do this, but I am willing to try.”

That difference can matter.

You may never feel highly motivated to exercise, make a difficult phone call, organize paperwork, attend therapy, or change a longstanding habit.

You may only need enough willingness to begin.

Try:

“I don't feel motivated to do this. Help me figure out whether I am at least willing to take one small step.”

“Ask me what I would be willing to do even if I do not feel enthusiastic about it.”

“Help me separate ‘I don't want to’ from ‘I absolutely will not.’”

“What is the smallest action I would honestly be willing to take?”


Getting Started

Go to https://chatgpt.com, sign in or create an account, and start a new chat.

Then describe the problem in your own words or use one of
the prompts below. The prompts in this article are shown in italics. Be
sure to customize them with your own conditions, diagnoses, symptoms,
limitations, treatments, medications, home situation, and personal
circumstances so ChatGPT can give you a more relevant response.

If you are unsure how to use ChatGPT, ask a trusted person—such as a family member, friend, librarian, caregiver, or healthcare professional—for help getting started, or use the current official ChatGPT help materials.

You do not need to use psychological terminology.

You can simply say:

“I know what I should do, but I don't feel like doing it. Help me figure out why.”


Start by Finding Out What Is Really Stopping You

Lack of action does not always mean lack of motivation.

Sometimes something else is blocking the way.

Try:

“Ask me one question at a time to figure out why I keep avoiding this.”

“Help me determine whether the problem is fatigue, fear, pain, uncertainty, lack of interest, too much effort, lack of confidence, resentment, sadness, or something else.”

“What am I expecting to feel or experience if I start this task?”

“What feels hardest about getting started?”

“What would make this easier?”

A quick reminder: Use ChatGPT to help you understand, organize, and prepare questions—but verify important medical information with your healthcare professional, and do not change medications or treatment based on ChatGPT alone.


Maybe You Don't Actually Want the Goal

Sometimes we struggle because the goal was never really ours.

It may come from:

  • family
  • a healthcare professional
  • society
  • work
  • guilt
  • comparison with other people
  • an earlier version of ourselves

Try:

“Is this something I actually want, or something I think I am supposed to want?”

“Help me separate my own reasons for doing this from other people's expectations.”

“If nobody judged me either way, would I still want this?”

“What outcome actually matters to me?”


Find Your Own Reason

A goal tends to feel different when it connects to something personally meaningful.

Instead of:

“I should exercise.”

you might discover:

“I want enough strength to keep walking independently.”

Instead of:

“I should clean the house.”

perhaps:

“I want my home to feel calmer and easier to live in.”

Try:

“Help me connect this task to something I genuinely care about.”

“Why might doing this matter to my future self?”

“What could this make easier, better, safer, or more meaningful?”

“What would I gain—not what am I supposed to do?”


Ask What You Are Willing to Do Today

Motivation often collapses when the task feels enormous.

Try:

“Do not give me the whole plan. Ask what I am willing to do today.”

“Reduce this task until it feels almost too small to fail.”

“What could I do in five minutes?”

“What is the easiest possible first step?”

“If I only had to do 10% of this today, what would that look like?”

“Give me one step, then wait until I tell you whether I did it.”


Do Not Wait for Motivation to Arrive First

People sometimes assume:

Motivation → Action

But life can also work the other way:

Small action → progress → confidence → more willingness

You do not always have to feel ready before beginning.

Try:

“Help me choose an action small enough that I can do it even without feeling motivated.”

“What could I start for only two minutes?”

“Help me experiment with starting before I feel ready.”

“What would count as beginning rather than finishing?”


When the Task Feels Too Big

A task such as “clean the house” is not really one task.

It may be fifty tasks.

Ask ChatGPT to break it down.

“Break this into very small steps in the order I should do them.”

“Make each step take less than ten minutes.”

“Give me only the first three steps.”

“I get discouraged by long lists. Give me one step at a time.”

“Which part could I skip for now?”


When You Keep Putting Something Off

Procrastination may involve more than laziness.

There may be discomfort attached to the task.

Try:

“I keep avoiding this task. Help me identify what unpleasant feeling I may be avoiding.”

“Am I afraid this will be difficult, boring, embarrassing, confusing, painful, or unsuccessful?”

“What would make starting less unpleasant?”

“Help me make the first step easier rather than telling me to use more willpower.”


When Fear Is the Real Problem

Sometimes the problem is not lack of motivation.

It is fear.

Fear of:

  • failure
  • success
  • bad news
  • embarrassment
  • pain
  • rejection
  • making the wrong choice
  • discovering something you do not want to know

Try:

“I say I am unmotivated, but I think I may actually be afraid. Help me explore what I am afraid might happen.”

“What is the worst outcome I am imagining?”

“How likely is that outcome, and what could I do if it happened?”

“How could I make this feel safer without avoiding it completely?”


When You Have Tried Before and Failed

Repeated failed attempts can reduce willingness to try again.

Try:

“I have tried this before and it didn't last. Help me understand why without blaming me.”

“What specifically broke down last time?”

“Was the goal unrealistic, too large, too inconvenient, or not important enough to me?”

“How could this attempt be different?”

“What would count as improvement rather than perfection?”


Motivation When You Are Tired or in Pain

Sometimes motivation is not the real issue.

The person may simply have less physical or mental energy available.

Try:

“Before assuming I am unmotivated, help me consider whether fatigue, pain, poor sleep, illness, medications, or stress may be reducing my ability to act.”

“Help me adapt this task to a low-energy day.”

“What could I do sitting down, more slowly, with breaks, or with help?”

“Which parts require energy and which could I simplify?”

For persistent or unexplained changes in energy, mood, function, or ability to carry out daily activities, appropriate professional evaluation may be useful.


Motivation During Grief

Grief can temporarily change what matters, what feels possible, and how much energy you have.

Try:

“I am grieving and have very little motivation. Help me decide what truly needs to be done and what can wait.”

“Help me make today manageable rather than productive.”

“What is one thing that would take care of me today?”

“Help me find something meaningful without expecting me to feel like my old self.”


When You Have Lost Your Sense of Purpose

A person can lose motivation because there is no obvious reason to act.

This may happen after:

  • retirement
  • bereavement
  • disability
  • children leaving home
  • loss of a career
  • chronic illness
  • major life transitions

Try:

“I do not have much to get up for right now. Help me explore what might still feel meaningful.”

“What could I contribute, learn, create, help with, or participate in?”

“Help me find something meaningful rather than merely something to keep me busy.”

“What parts of my past identity still matter to me?”


Find Motivation Through People

Sometimes people do things for relationships that they will not do for themselves.

Try:

“Who might benefit if I follow through with this?”

“Would having another person involved make this easier?”

“Help me think of someone I could ask to check in with me.”

“What could I do with another person instead of alone?”

“Find groups or communities for people trying to do something similar.”


Make the Environment Do Some of the Work

Do not rely entirely on willpower.

Change the surroundings.

Try:

“How could I make the behavior I want easier to start?”

“What could I prepare the night before?”

“What could I put where I will see it?”

“What distraction could I remove?”

“How can I reduce the number of decisions required?”

“Help me design my environment so the easier choice is also the healthier or more useful choice.”


Use a Trigger or Routine

A task is often easier when attached to something that already happens.

Try:

“Help me attach this new action to something I already do every day.”

“What routine could remind me automatically?”

“Help me create an ‘after I do X, I will do Y’ plan.”

“What time of day am I most likely to have enough energy for this?”


Give Yourself Choices

Being told what you “must” do can create resistance.

Try:

“Give me three different ways to accomplish the same goal and let me choose.”

“What is a less unpleasant version of this task?”

“What are my options if I refuse to do it the usual way?”

“Help me design this around my preferences rather than forcing myself into someone else's method.”


Reward the Beginning, Not Just the Finish

If only the final result counts, motivation can disappear.

Try:

“Help me identify progress I can recognize before the entire task is finished.”

“What would count as a successful first week?”

“Help me track effort and consistency rather than perfection.”

“What small reward or enjoyable activity could I pair with this?”


Use Curiosity Instead of Pressure

Instead of saying:

“I have to succeed.”

try:

“Let's see what happens if I try this.”

Ask:

“Help me turn this into a seven-day experiment rather than a permanent commitment.”

“What could I learn even if this does not work?”

“How would I know whether this approach is helping?”

“Let's try the smallest version and review what happened.”


When Motivation Comes and Goes

Motivation is not necessarily stable.

A good plan should survive days when you do not feel inspired.

Try:

“Help me make a plan for high-energy days, normal days, and low-energy days.”

“What is the minimum version I can do when motivation is very low?”

“Help me create a backup plan for days when my original plan falls apart.”


Ask ChatGPT to Be Your Accountability Partner

ChatGPT can help you structure repeated check-ins.

For example:

“Each time I come back, ask whether I completed my one small step and help me decide the next one.”

“Help me keep a simple record of what I tried, what worked, and what got in the way.”

“Do not lecture me when I don't do it. Help me understand why and adjust the plan.”

“Ask me what I am willing to do next.”

ChatGPT can support accountability, but human accountability may be more powerful for some people.


When You Need Encouragement—But Not Empty Encouragement

You may not want:

“You've got this!”

You may want something more useful.

Try:

“Encourage me without pretending this is easy.”

“Remind me why I decided this mattered.”

“Help me remember progress I have already made.”

“Give me a realistic reason to take the next step.”


Find Stories From People Like You

Other people's experiences may provide ideas.

Try:

“Find stories or discussions from people who struggled with motivation in circumstances similar to mine.”

“What helped people with chronic illness, grief, retirement, disability, caregiving, or depression begin doing things again?”

“What practical ideas do people say made getting started easier?”

“Find support groups, communities, programs, or resources related to this problem.”

Lived experience can generate useful ideas, but it does not prove that the same approach is right for you.


Look for a Cycle That Keeps Motivation Low

Sometimes several problems reinforce one another.

For example:

poor sleep → low energy → less activity → worse mood → less motivation → more inactivity

Or:

fear → avoidance → temporary relief → task becomes more intimidating → more fear

Try:

“Help me identify any loops or cycles that might be keeping this problem going.”

“Where in the cycle would it be easiest to intervene?”

“What small change might weaken the cycle?”


What If I Am Simply Not Ready?

That is useful information too.

Try:

“I am not ready to make this change. Help me understand what would need to change before I might become more willing.”

“What concerns would I need resolved?”

“What information am I missing?”

“What would make me move from ‘no’ to ‘maybe’?”

“Do not pressure me to change. Help me understand my hesitation.”


When Motivation Problems May Need More Than ChatGPT

A major or persistent loss of motivation can sometimes accompany depression, medication effects, sleep problems, chronic illness, pain, substance use, neurological conditions, or other health concerns.

If you have experienced a major change in motivation, pleasure, energy, concentration, daily functioning, or ability to care for yourself, consider discussing it with an appropriate healthcare or mental-health professional.

ChatGPT can help you prepare:

“Help me describe how my motivation, energy, mood, sleep, and everyday functioning have changed so I can discuss this clearly with a professional.”


Use ChatGPT 24/7—But Do Not Turn Motivation Into Another Obsession

ChatGPT can be available whenever you feel stuck.

You can say:

“I am sitting here avoiding the task. Help me get started.”

“I have five minutes. What is one useful thing I can do?”

“I lost momentum. Help me restart without starting over from scratch.”

But repeatedly analyzing why you are not motivated can itself become another form of avoidance.

At some point, the best prompt may be:

“We have talked enough. Give me one small action and tell me to go do it.”


Create a Personal Motivation Map

Ask:

“Based on everything I have told you, create a motivation map with these sections: what I want, why it matters, what is getting in the way, what I am willing to do, what support might help, and my smallest next step.”

This can turn a vague feeling of “I can't get myself moving” into something specific enough to work with.


Prompts Are Just the Beginning

Continue the conversation:

“Ask me one question at a time.”

“That is too much. Make it smaller.”

“That doesn't motivate me. Try another angle.”

“Help me understand my resistance.”

“Give me choices.”

“What is the easiest first step?”

“Help me restart.”

“What am I avoiding?”

“What would I actually be willing to do?”

“Do not give me advice yet. Help me understand first.”


Remember: ChatGPT Can Make Mistakes

ChatGPT can be very useful, but it can also misunderstand you, leave out important details, or confidently give incorrect information.

Use it as a thinking, organizing, and problem-solving tool—not as an unquestioned authority.

For health matters especially, verify important information with an appropriate healthcare professional and do not make medication, treatment, or other major health changes based on ChatGPT alone.


The Bottom Line

You do not always need to feel strongly motivated.

Sometimes the real progression is:

Understand what is stopping you.

Find something that matters.

Decide what you are willing to do.

Make it smaller.

Take one step.

See what happens.

Then take another.

A useful place to begin is:

“I know there is something I probably need or want to do, but I cannot seem to get myself moving. Do not lecture me or assume I am lazy. Ask me one question at a time to help me understand what is getting in the way, what actually matters to me, what I am willing to do, and the smallest realistic step I could take today.”

Sometimes motivation comes first.

Sometimes willingness comes first.

And sometimes the first tiny action creates enough momentum for motivation to follow.


Join the Conversation

What helps you get moving when you know what you want to do but do not feel motivated?

Do you respond better to encouragement, a deadline, another person, breaking a task into pieces, finding a meaningful reason, or simply taking the first step before you feel ready?

If you have discovered a useful ChatGPT prompt or practical strategy for finding willingness or motivation, share it in the comments.

Someone else may be stuck at exactly the same starting point.


Subscribe to My Newsletters

LinkedIn — Thrive: Mind, Body & Tech
Practical ways to use AI and technology for holistic wellness, emotional well-being, healthier living, and navigating the future.

https://www.linkedin.com/newsletters/thrive-mind-body-tech-7178508146028556289/

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tom-Garz-Writer-and-Inventor/422266054499307


Try my free Custom GPT, Chronic Illness: Why Am I Still Sick? — a whole-person tool for people with persistent symptoms, multiple chronic conditions, or normal tests who still don't feel well.

https://chatgpt.com/g/g-69fa4cd970448191ace058c5d4ca15f2-chronic-illness-why-am-i-still-sick


My Amazon Author Page

https://www.amazon.com/author/tomgarz


Disclaimer

I am not a healthcare professional. This article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not medical advice. ChatGPT and other AI systems can make mistakes, misunderstand information, overlook important details, or provide incorrect or outdated information.

ChatGPT should not be used to diagnose a condition, determine treatment, prescribe or change medications, replace appropriate professional examination or testing, or make emergency or urgent-care decisions. The prompts, examples, and suggestions in this article are illustrations and are not personal medical recommendations.

Always verify important health information and discuss changes in medications, supplements, diet, exercise, or treatment with an appropriate healthcare professional. Do not delay necessary medical care because of something an AI system tells you.

Seek prompt professional care for severe, rapidly worsening, unusual, or potentially dangerous symptoms, or if you believe you may be experiencing a medical or mental-health emergency.

Health circumstances differ from person to person, so what is safe or appropriate for one person may not be safe or appropriate for another. Use the information in this article according to your own circumstances and obtain appropriate professional advice when needed.

Additional Disclaimers - https://sites.google.com/site/tgideas/ideas-for-products-or-services/disclaimer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment