Everyone has negative thoughts.
Sometimes they are useful. They warn us about danger, point out problems, or tell us something needs to change.
But negative thinking can also become repetitive:
“This is never going to get better.”
“I always mess things up.”
“Something bad is going to happen.”
“Nobody understands me.”
“I can't handle this.”
“What if this symptom means something terrible?”
The problem is not having an occasional negative thought.
The problem may be when negative thoughts keep repeating,
feel unquestionably true, increase fear or hopelessness, interfere with sleep
and everyday life, or keep you focused on problems without helping you solve
them.
ChatGPT can be useful because it gives you somewhere to get
the thoughts out of your head, examine them, challenge assumptions, look for
other explanations, identify what you can do, and turn repetitive thinking into
practical action.
Negative Thinking Can Affect More Than Your Mood
Thoughts do not occur separately from the body.
Repeated worry, rumination, fear, anger, or self-criticism
can activate and prolong the body's stress response. Long-term stress can
contribute to problems with sleep, concentration, appetite, energy, headaches,
body pain, stomach problems, and worsening of existing physical and
mental-health conditions.
Rumination—repeatedly going over distressing thoughts or
problems—has also been associated with greater emotional distress and,
particularly in chronic pain research, greater pain and disability.
That does not mean physical symptoms are imaginary.
Pain is real, and stress can make it feel worse by
increasing muscle tension, disrupting sleep, heightening the body's alarm
response, and making recovery harder. The same can happen with fatigue,
headaches, digestive symptoms, dizziness, palpitations, and other symptoms.
A whole-person approach asks:
“What physical, mental, emotional, behavioral, and life
factors may be interacting—and which of them can I do something about?”
Getting Started
Go to https://chatgpt.com,
sign in or create an account, and start a new chat.
Then describe the problem in your own words or use one of
the prompts below. Be sure to customize the prompt with your own conditions,
diagnoses, symptoms, limitations, treatments, and personal circumstances so
ChatGPT can give you a more relevant response.
If you are unsure whether ChatGPT is right for you—or are
not comfortable signing in, starting a chat, or knowing what to type—ask
someone you trust for help. A family member, friend, librarian, caregiver, or
even a healthcare professional may be able to help you get started. You can
also use OpenAI's official ChatGPT help and support materials.
Start by Getting the Thoughts Out
Sometimes it is difficult to examine a thought while it is
spinning around inside your head.
Put it into words.
“I keep having the same negative thoughts. Let me tell
you what they are, and help me organize them before giving me advice.”
“Here is everything that is worrying me. Separate the
actual problems from fears, predictions, assumptions, and things I cannot
control.”
“I am having trouble explaining what is going on inside
my head. Ask me one question at a time.”
“Help me identify which thoughts keep repeating most
often and what seems to trigger them.”
“Do not reassure me automatically. Help me examine these
thoughts realistically.”
A quick reminder: Use ChatGPT to help you
understand, organize, and prepare questions—but verify important medical
information with your healthcare professional, and do not change medications or
treatment based on ChatGPT alone.
Ask: Is This a Fact, an Interpretation, or a Prediction?
Negative thoughts often feel like facts.
But sometimes they are predictions:
“This will never improve.”
interpretations:
“They didn't call because they don't care about me.”
or conclusions:
“I failed at this, so I am a failure.”
Try:
“Take this thought and separate what is objectively known
from what I am assuming.”
“What evidence supports this thought, and what evidence
does not?”
“Am I describing what happened or predicting what will
happen next?”
“Give me three other reasonable explanations for this
situation.”
“How certain can I really be that my interpretation is
correct?”
Look for Common Thinking Traps
Psychological therapies such as cognitive therapy often help
people identify pessimistic evaluations and unhelpful thinking patterns rather
than automatically accepting them as facts.
Examples can include:
- expecting
the worst
- seeing
everything as success or failure
- assuming
you know what someone else thinks
- predicting
the future
- focusing
only on what went wrong
- turning
one bad experience into “this always happens”
- treating
feelings as proof
- blaming
yourself for everything
Ask:
“Help me look at this thought and see whether I may be
expecting the worst, jumping to conclusions, assuming I know what someone else
is thinking, or treating one bad experience as though it will always happen.”
“Rewrite this thought in a way that is more balanced but
still believable.”
“I do not want fake positive thinking. Give me a more
accurate way to think about this.”
Don't Replace Negative Thinking With Unrealistic Positive
Thinking
If you are hurting, telling yourself:
“Everything is wonderful!”
probably will not help.
The goal is not positive thinking at all costs.
It is more accurate and useful thinking.
Instead of:
“Nothing will ever get better.”
you might arrive at:
“I don't know yet how much this can improve, but there
may still be things I haven't tried.”
Instead of:
“I can't handle this.”
perhaps:
“This is difficult, but I only need to work out what to
do next.”
Try:
“Do not turn my negative thought into a cheerful slogan.
Help me make it more realistic, balanced, and useful.”
“Give me a thought I could actually believe.”
“What would be a more accurate statement that
acknowledges the difficulty without assuming the worst?”
Stop Asking “What If?” and Ask “What Then?”
Negative thinking often produces endless possibilities:
What if I get worse?
What if I lose my job?
What if my relationship ends?
What if this symptom is serious?
Sometimes it helps to move from fear to planning.
“I keep thinking ‘what if.’ Help me separate realistic
possibilities from unlikely ones.”
“If the thing I fear actually happened, what practical
options would I have?”
“Help me make a reasonable Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C so
I do not have to keep mentally rehearsing the problem.”
“What information would actually help reduce the
uncertainty?”
Turn Rumination Into Problem-Solving
Thinking about a problem is useful when it leads somewhere.
Rumination tends to circle.
“I have been thinking about this for hours. Help me
determine whether I am solving the problem or simply repeating it.”
“What question would move me from thinking about the
problem to doing something about it?”
“What part of this situation can I influence today?”
“Turn everything I have been worrying about into possible
actions, questions, decisions, and things I may need to accept for now.”
“Give me one useful next step and then let me stop
working on this for today.”
Ask ChatGPT to Challenge You—Not Just Agree With You
AI can sometimes be too agreeable.
That is not always helpful when examining negative thoughts.
Psychologists have specifically raised concerns that an overly agreeable
chatbot could reinforce maladaptive thoughts or avoidance rather than challenge
them.
Tell ChatGPT what you want.
“Do not simply agree with my interpretation. Challenge it
respectfully.”
“What might I be missing?”
“Give me the strongest reasonable argument against my
conclusion.”
“If I am making assumptions, point them out.”
“Show me where my thinking seems well supported and where
it seems uncertain.”
Talk to Yourself as Fairly as You Would Talk to Someone
Else
Many people speak to themselves in ways they would never
speak to another person.
“Here is what I am saying to myself. Would I probably say
this to someone I care about in the same situation?”
“Help me rewrite this without insulting or attacking
myself.”
“I made a mistake. Help me separate what I need to
correct from what I am saying about myself as a person.”
“What can I learn from this without turning it into
evidence that I am a failure?”
“Help me respond to myself firmly but fairly.”
When Negative Thinking Is About Your Health
Health problems create plenty of material for negative
thoughts.
“This pain will only get worse.”
“The doctors haven't figured it out, so nobody ever
will.”
“This symptom must mean something terrible.”
“My body is falling apart.”
“I am worried about this symptom. Help me separate what I
actually know from what I fear it might mean.”
“What reasonable medical questions should I ask instead
of repeatedly imagining the worst?”
“Help me identify warning signs that deserve professional
attention without making me monitor every sensation constantly.”
“My chronic illness is making me think my future is
hopeless. Help me distinguish what is genuinely limited from what may still be
possible.”
“Help me focus on what I can improve, adapt, manage,
investigate, or work around even if the underlying condition does not
disappear.”
Don't Let Psychological Factors Erase Physical Illness
If stress, worry, or negative thinking affects symptoms,
that does not mean:
“It's all in your head.”
The more useful question is:
“Could reducing stress and unhelpful thinking reduce some
of the extra burden on top of the physical condition?”
For someone with chronic pain, for example, the underlying
physical problem may remain while reducing fear, rumination, poor sleep,
inactivity, or catastrophizing may help reduce how much the problem dominates
everyday life. Research on chronic pain supports attention to psychological
factors alongside physical treatment rather than forcing an either/or
explanation.
Try:
“I have a genuine physical health problem, but stress and
negative thinking may be making it harder to live with. Help me work on those
additional factors without dismissing the physical condition.”
Notice What Triggers Negative Thinking
Negative thoughts may not appear randomly.
“Help me create a simple tracker for when negative
thinking becomes strongest, what was happening beforehand, what I was feeling
physically, and what I did afterward.”
“Do my negative thoughts seem worse when I am tired, in
pain, hungry, lonely, stressed, or physically unwell?”
“Help me compare good days and bad days for possible
patterns.”
“What situations, people, places, news, social media,
symptoms, or times of day seem to trigger these thoughts?”
Pay Attention to Sleep
Poor sleep can make almost everything feel harder.
“My negative thinking gets much stronger at night. Help
me create a rule for which problems I will and will not try to solve when I am
exhausted.”
“Help me make a short bedtime routine that reduces
late-night rumination.”
“I wake up and immediately start worrying. Help me create
a different first 15 minutes of the morning.”
“Help me track whether poor sleep and negative thinking
seem to reinforce each other.”
Put Boundaries Around Worry
You do not necessarily have to solve every concern the
moment it appears.
“Help me create a place to write down worries so I do not
have to keep rehearsing them mentally.”
“I keep returning to the same problem. Help me decide
whether there is anything new to do about it today.”
“Help me set aside a specific time to think about this
problem rather than letting it occupy the entire day.”
“Which of these thoughts require action, and which can
simply be noted and left alone for now?”
Ground Yourself During an Acute Thought Spiral
Sometimes negative thinking becomes so intense that
analyzing the thought is not the first thing you need.
You may be panicking, catastrophizing, replaying something
repeatedly, or feeling as though your mind is racing too fast to think clearly.
In those moments, use ChatGPT to help you slow down,
reconnect with what is happening right now, and get through the next few
minutes before trying to solve the larger problem.
“My thoughts are spiraling right now. Do not analyze
everything yet. Help me slow down and focus only on the next five minutes.”
“Ask me to name five things I can see, four things I can
feel, three things I can hear, two things I can smell, and one thing I can
taste.”
“Help me notice where I am right now, what is actually
happening around me, and what is only happening in my thoughts.”
“Remind me to put both feet on the floor, relax my
shoulders, breathe normally, and describe what I can see around me.”
“My mind is jumping far into the future. Help me come
back to what I actually know right now.”
“Separate what is happening this minute from what I am
afraid might happen later.”
“Give me one small physical action to do right now—drink
water, stand up, walk to another room, step outside, wash my face, or something
similar.”
“Do not give me ten suggestions. Give me one grounding
step, wait for me to do it, and then give me the next one.”
“Help me identify whether I need to solve something right
now or whether I first need to let my nervous system settle.”
“I am too upset to think clearly. Stay practical and
simple. Ask me one question at a time until I feel more settled.”
Once the intensity comes down, you can return to the larger
question:
“Now help me examine the thought more realistically and
decide whether there is anything I actually need to do.”
Grounding is not about pretending the problem does not
exist. It is about getting your mind and body settled enough to think about
the problem more clearly.
If the thought spiral feels too intense to manage on your
own—especially with panic, trauma or PTSD symptoms, feeling detached from
reality, thoughts of self-harm, or feeling unsafe—reach out for immediate
support. In the United States, call or text 988 for the Suicide &
Crisis Lifeline, or seek urgent professional help if needed.
Use Activity to Interrupt the Loop
Sometimes more thinking is not the answer.
Research and clinical approaches to rumination include
shifting attention toward activities, social connection, mindfulness, and other
forms of engagement rather than continuing repetitive thought.
“I have been stuck in my head for an hour. Give me five
simple things I could physically do to interrupt the loop.”
“Suggest activities that require enough attention to pull
me out of repetitive thinking.”
“Help me choose between going outside, calling someone,
doing a task, exercising, listening to music, or another activity based on how
I feel right now.”
Look at the Life Problem Behind the Thought
Sometimes negative thinking is not the main problem.
Perhaps you really are lonely.
Perhaps the job really is unhealthy.
Perhaps money really is tight.
Perhaps you are grieving.
Perhaps a relationship really does need attention.
The goal should not be to talk yourself out of recognizing
legitimate problems.
“Assume for a moment that there really is a problem here.
Help me identify exactly what it is and what I can do about it.”
“Which parts of my negative thinking reflect genuine
problems that need action?”
“What practical change would reduce the situation that
keeps triggering these thoughts?”
“Do I need a thinking strategy—or do I need to solve
something in my life?”
Look at the Whole Person
Negative thinking can interact with much more than mood.
Ask ChatGPT:
“Help me look at whether my negative thinking, sleep,
physical health, chronic conditions, medications, stress, relationships,
loneliness, activity, finances, work, and environment are affecting one
another.”
“Which parts of this situation may be creating a
repeating pattern?”
“Help me find one change that might improve several parts
of the pattern at once.”
If You Have Depression, Anxiety, Chronic Pain, or Other
Conditions
Persistent negative thinking can occur with several mental
and physical-health conditions.
For example, pessimism, hopelessness, guilt, low energy,
sleep disturbance, concentration difficulties, and physical symptoms can occur
with depression.
That does not mean every negative thought means you have a
mental-health disorder.
But if your thinking changes substantially or begins
interfering with daily life, it may be worth discussing with an appropriate
professional.
Try:
“My negative thinking has become much stronger recently.
Help me organize what changed so I can discuss it with my healthcare or
mental-health professional.”
“Help me prepare a short summary of my thoughts, mood,
sleep, energy, physical symptoms, medications, stress, and life circumstances.”
“What questions should I ask a therapist or healthcare
professional about persistent negative thinking?”
Use ChatGPT to Find More Help
ChatGPT can also help you look beyond ChatGPT.
“Find reputable information about rumination and negative
thinking.”
“Find therapists near me who work with CBT or other
approaches for repetitive negative thinking.”
“Find online or local support groups related to the
problem behind my negative thoughts.”
“Find books, courses, videos, or worksheets from
reputable organizations that teach practical ways to manage unhelpful
thinking.”
“Find stories or discussions from people dealing with
negative thinking in circumstances similar to mine.”
“What kinds of professionals could help if I cannot
manage this effectively on my own?”
Use ChatGPT When the Thought Actually Appears
Negative thinking does not operate on office hours.
ChatGPT can be available 24/7 to help you capture a
thought, examine it, separate facts from assumptions, calm down enough to think
clearly, or decide what action to take.
You might simply type:
“I am having a negative thought right now. Help me slow
it down and examine it before I react.”
Or:
“My mind is going in circles. Ask me one question at a
time until we identify whether there is something useful I can do.”
ChatGPT is not emergency mental-health care. If negative
thoughts include thoughts of suicide, self-harm, or feeling unable to stay
safe, seek immediate help from emergency or crisis services or an appropriate
healthcare professional.
Try a Daily Thought Check-In
You could keep one ChatGPT conversation for this purpose.
Start with:
“Help me notice and manage recurring negative thoughts.
When I bring you a thought, help me identify the situation that triggered it,
what I am feeling, what is known, what I may be assuming, other reasonable
interpretations, anything that requires action, and a more balanced way of
thinking about it. Do not automatically agree with me and do not replace
everything with positive thinking.”
Over time, you may begin recognizing your patterns yourself.
That is the goal.
Prompts Are Just the Beginning
After ChatGPT responds, continue with:
“Is that actually true?”
“What am I assuming?”
“What else could be happening?”
“What can I control?”
“What should I do rather than keep thinking?”
“Make that more realistic.”
“That sounds too positive. Give me something believable.”
“What would I say to someone else in my situation?”
“Help me let this go for now.”
Remember: ChatGPT Can Make Mistakes
ChatGPT can be very useful, but it can also misunderstand
you, leave out important details, or confidently give incorrect information.
Use it as a thinking, organizing, and problem-solving
tool—not as an unquestioned authority.
For health matters especially, verify important information
with an appropriate healthcare professional and do not make medication,
treatment, or other major health changes based on ChatGPT alone.
The Bottom Line
The goal is not to eliminate every negative thought.
Some negative thoughts contain useful information.
The goal is to become better at asking:
Is this true?
How certain am I?
Am I predicting the future?
Is there another explanation?
Is there actually a problem I need to solve?
What can I do about it?
And if there is nothing useful to do right now, can I
stop feeding the thought?
ChatGPT can help you create that pause between having a
thought and automatically believing it.
A good place to begin is:
“Here is the negative thought I keep having. Help me
examine it realistically, identify anything useful it is telling me, challenge
anything I may be assuming, and decide whether there is something I can
actually do.”
Join the Conversation
What kind of negative thinking is hardest for you—worrying
about the future, replaying the past, criticizing yourself, expecting the
worst, or something else?
Have you found a question, habit, activity, therapy
approach, or way of thinking that helps break the pattern?
Have you used ChatGPT to challenge a thought or see a
situation differently?
Share your experience or a useful prompt in the comments. Something
that helps you step out of a negative-thinking loop may give someone else a
useful idea to try.
Subscribe to My LinkedIn Newsletter
Thrive: Mind, Body & Tech shares practical ways
to use AI and technology for holistic wellness, emotional well-being, healthier
living, and navigating the future.
https://www.linkedin.com/newsletters/thrive-mind-body-tech-7178508146028556289/
Try my free Custom GPT, Chronic Illness: Why Am I Still
Sick? — a whole-person tool for people with persistent symptoms, multiple
chronic conditions, or normal tests who still don't feel well.
https://chatgpt.com/g/g-69fa4cd970448191ace058c5d4ca15f2-chronic-illness-why-am-i-still-sick
My Amazon Author Page
https://www.amazon.com/author/tomgarz
Disclaimer
I am not a healthcare professional. This article is for
educational and informational purposes only and is not medical advice. ChatGPT
can make mistakes and should not be used to diagnose a condition, determine
treatment, or replace a qualified healthcare professional. Always verify
important health information and discuss changes in medications, insulin,
supplements, diet, exercise, or treatment with an appropriate healthcare
professional. Seek prompt medical care for serious, rapidly worsening, or emergency
symptoms. Additional Disclaimers - https://sites.google.com/site/tgideas/ideas-for-products-or-services/disclaimer
No comments:
Post a Comment